Thursday, December 30, 2010

Little Reminders, Part 1

Inspiration: Christmas Gifts.
And no, it's not the traditional don't be materialistic and selfish at Christmas.

I love giving presents. Not for selfish reasons - I don't want people to feel like they owe me, nor do I think that presents make people happy. But when I can get someone something that I know they are wanting, or that I know will brighten their day, I get it. I just love being able to give that joy and help that person out for just a minute, or just a day, as they enjoy what I gave them. It's not that I want them to think of me or know that I brought them that joy, but more that they have it.

It's the same when I give of my time. I love talking to people, hearing their stories, offering advice, being there when they need something or someone. I like to fix things and heal people, take care of them. It fulfills me in away. Maybe that is a selfish reason to do it, but it doesn't change the feeling. I want to be selfless and care and love. And giving of myself is one way to do so.

I do these things selflessly, and I expect nothing in return. It is taxing at times, but that would never make me change my mind about my decisions.

But sometimes, the exhaustion of always giving and never getting anything back, and I feel that I need something in return. I do not like that feeling, but it is there.

Well, this Christmas, I got that something from my best friend. I helped her through a hard time in her life, and I stuck by her side. I saved her life so she says, and just that knowledge was enough for me. But she felt that she needed to do more. She bought me the most beautiful necklace - a heart with my birthstone, engraved with my name and a quote that we share. I cried when she told me what she meant by it and why she had done it. It made me so happy that I had touched her life that much. But I felt like she had gone so far to thank me - her gift was so wonderful, but so much. I almost felt guilty in receiving it.  And maybe that was my little lesson - my own little "careful what you wish for-"

I love my necklace. It's beautiful, and it reminds me every time I wear it of our friendship and how much we care for one another - what we do and have done for each other.

But I would never expect something like that in return form everyone, or every time. I know that I do not need to see the appreciation to know that I am trying to do good things for people. I know that I have done it, and that recognition or none does not change a thing.

I have received a life time of thanks from just one girl, and I know how blessed I am to have the family and friends that I do, and blessed to know that I can help them and be there for them, and that blessing is all that I need.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.