Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Caring Loudly

This happened to me some time ago, I just never got around to actually writing about it. And now that I am sitting here, unable to sleep, I figured what better time?

I recently moved back on campus for the year, in the midst of other major troubles in my life. It's just been a hard month or two. But that is besides the point. During the move I felt very out of place - I just didn't know where I fit in or what I was doing or where I was going to end up. It was confusing. I wasn't feeling very confident about myself and I didn't feel ready to face the world for another year.

But I made myself stay involved and stay active - I participated in events and happenings over the weekend, before classes started. One event, an outdoor picnic, was terribly placed in the middle of a heat wave. I hadn't eaten much and I was coming down with a headache from lack of food and dehydration. I decided to leave early, and a friend of mine walked me back to my room. We were just talking, about nothing really, and she saw how miserable I looked and she immediately flipped into a mode of concern. She made sure I had eaten and that I was going to be okay. She said that I didn't always eat, and that I worried her sometimes because I wasn't healthy and I wasn't treating myself right. And I almost cried. All it took was that one little sentence - her voicing her concern for me, as a friend. And that was it - I just needed someone to care. It wasn't any special, huge moment for us; just an every day exchange. But it was something I had been missing from the friends I thought were close to me.

It just goes to show - you never know when someone just needs to hear your voice, or see your face, or hear that you care or that you love them. It's the little things that can turn someone's day for the better, or even change their life.

Make sure your loved ones know you're there. You never know when they may need you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.