Friday, January 14, 2011

The Little Things, Part 2: Maybe it isn't More than Words

A friend of mine called me pretty yesterday, and apparently that doesn't happen often.

But it wasn't just the fact that he said it that made my day, it was the fact that at that point, I needed to hear it.

Wednesday was a long day. A very long day. I ran a lot of errands that I shouldn't have had to do and dealt with people who were upset with me for reasons over which I have no control. I had a lab class with absolutely no one that I know in it, so it made partner work a little difficult. Especially when paired with one who seems to be either academically impaired, or simply careless about grades. My opinion is on the former, no offense to anyone in particular. But my grades are important and if you can't keep up I will not stop for you. Find someone at your own pace to work with. After a trying lab class, it was strait to work, where I learned that I officially took a $0.60/hr pay cut by becoming a student worker. Not to mention a few excessively annoying people with whom I work breathing down my neck trying to prove themselves as all knowing. I know things too, I promise. That's why you hired me and requested me special for this event. And then, I choked on a rye chip, lost my voice, and felt walked over and under appreciated at my meeting after work.

And honestly, none of these events were incredibly terrible. It was each event on top of the other with no one to vent to, all piled on top of exhaustion after the first week back to class. My optimism was being tested quite harshly.

So, after this day of minor infractions, I trudged home feeling gross and tired and upset. I was in my work clothes, my hair mess, my makeup a mess - just not put together at all. I had just gotten off the phone with a friend, finally allowed to vent and simply get everything out of my system, when I walked up stairs to compliments and smiling faces. It was as simple as that.

All I needed was to be heard, loved, noticed, and appreciated. Sometimes it's nice to know that someone cares or that someone sees you. No one wants to be invisible, and no one wants to deal with things on their own. And even if people do see and do care, when you are having a crappy time with things, it's nice to have that little reminder. And sometimes, where the reminder comes from will take you by surprise, which will make it even better.

And, in the long run, maybe it is the actions that show when someone really truly is there for you and really truly cares. But in passing, you don't notice the actions, or you block them out. You begin to focus on the negative things and you let them get you down, when really all you need are a few kind words to remind you and to set you back on track.

So never hesitate to tell someone what you are thinking - that they look nice, or they are nice, or you love them, or you appreciate them. Show them still through your actions and reach out and care for them, but don't forget to say it to. You never know how much a person needs to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.