Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Welcome, Sort Of.

Have you ever thought about the way you invite someone in to your home?

I stop in the first room with seating. On campus, it's the kitchen/dining area. If I'm not sure what the plans are or what to do, it just seems logical. In my apartment, it was the living area - the room immediately attached to the foyer area. This idea just seems neutral to me - it's not letting anyone too far in, but it's not keeping them out in the cold.

But many people will invite you to their most comfortable living area, where you can be at ease and share. Some people will take you back to their room - completely open to having you in their own personal space. Some people will stand at the door,  leaving you to your own business and forcing you to request your way inside.

The way I am in my own reflects the way I am psychologically. I don't let people in to my head often - I don't talk about my personal problems and struggles. I keep people at a distance, only letting on what is necessary for our relationship. I like to listen to other people and help them out before we get to me. And we rarely get to me. What do your host/hostess behaviors say about you?

I've been taking this communications course - nothing in depth, just a general overview of the topic - but it's really gotten me thinking about my actions and my words and what they might say about me or how they might affect other people - as if I wasn't already worried enough about what other people think.

But I find these connections extremely interesting. Like how far I let people in to my home. I am able to discover new things about my personality and and my mannerisms that I never really thought about or understood before.

It really pays to be observant. I enjoy knowing these previously mysterious little tidbits of information. And just think how much you could learn about other people by observing these same things - and how much of an easier time you could have communicating and interacting with them once you know their motivations and what they are thinking.

Language and communication are very powerful things when we understand how to use them properly. Everything you say and do reflects something deeper inside you and conveys a message - whether positive or negative - to others who observe you.

Always be conscious and observant - you never know what you might stumble across.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.