Thursday, April 22, 2010

Las Puertas Abiertas:

Lately I've been worried about getting a job. Probably the most un-childish fear. There is no innocence or naivety in that. I need to pay my rent and pay my bills; eat for the summer. It's going to be tough. I was hired with the summer orientations for the school, but it's only ten days for the whole summer. Definitely not enough to cover all of my expenses. I got a job at Victoria's Secret a while ago. But I couldn't make the training day because One for the Pot was still running and the show time was the same. The manager said she would call me back with another training day but as of today, I hadn't heard from her. I was beginning to worry I'd been replaced. I had an interview with the school's English Language Program last week. I think it went pretty well - the two interviewers seemed to love my personality and like all the answers I gave. It helped that I am a Spanish minor, so working with International Students would be a good experience. However, they said I would know for sure by this week. I checked on Wednesday, but they hadn't made their decision yet. I had begun to worry that I wouldn't get the job, that Victoria's Secret would replace me for waiting too long to talk to them, and that I would be left with only the orientations. There would be no way I was going to make it through the summer.

Today, my professor had me walk with him down to the campus store before class. He was the director of One for the Pot, so I had spent six weeks working closely with him both in and outside of class and he knows me very well. We just talked about nothing for most of the time, but on the way back, he mentioned a job at the local Antique shop. Two other theatre students had held jobs there and were let go. Everyone says the owners are crazy. But he told me that those students didn't follow the simple rules set out for them, or just didn't show up. He said they were looking for a responsible student to fill a weekend position there - 16 hours a week at 7.50 an hour. It wasn't a whole lot, but if all my other positions fell through, it would at least be enough to get me through the summer. It was such a relief to know that I at least had that option.

Then, while shopping with my roommates, I got a call from Victoria's Secret. They were planning a second training day and they realized that I still needed to get my paperwork done and be trained. I was scheduled for Tuesday, May 4th, and now I know that won't lose that position. Another solidified option to get me through my summer.

Right when I was beginning to worry and fear my future, when I was ready to start looking again and ask my parents to front me next month's rent, things came through. Call it fate, God, the right path, whatever, something worked out and now I know I don't have to worry. I can go back to laughter. I can go back to focusing on my up-coming finals and my work in the theater. It's such a relief to know that I once again have options.

Peace and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.