Monday, July 19, 2010

Some People Get It

A friend of mine from back home q111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111200

Well. Apparently Rhy didn't want me to write about that.
I got a new kitten yesterday, named Rhy. Well, Rhythm, but I like to call him Rhy for short. He is a little Siamese boy and he is adorable - just curls up right next to you. He likes to walk across my keyboard for some reason. He was being exceptionally persistent this time and stood in front of my screen staring at me, puring. Then he proceeded to cross over and sit on my chest and attack my face with kisses. He's a lover with the best of them. Sometimes I wish humans could show as much love and affection as cats do. I mean really, have you ever noticed how cats always know how you are feeling? When you don't really want to go to work they sit on your clothes so they get covered in cat hair, as if that would keep you from the office. When you are having too good of a day, they make sure to snub you, just yo bring you down to earth a little bit. When you are sad, they know it, and they sit with you. And they just watch. I know they are listening. They listen to you cry and they listen to you talk, and in return, you get all the love you could ever need. Just from a little fur ball that purrs. It never fails.

This whole love and affection thing brings me back to my original topic, though, conveniently. (But Rhy doesn't care. He just wanted me to write about him and now he is sitting back, relishing in his victory, puring softly at my feet -- Cats will be cats.) Anyway. A friend of mine from back home came to visit her grandma, who happens to live about 15 minutes from my apartment. So I drove out to see her. We went to Kokomo's for a fun day with her cousins and just hung out - played the games and won some cheap, lame toys that I will cherish forever. She took me back to her grandma's house to hang out before I had to go back home. I was in the house for 5 minutes and her grandma, who I had just met in those 5 minutes, was offering to take us out to dinner, even though she had already eaten. She just wanted to take us out because she could, so we wouldn't have to cook anything. I was just expecting to chill for a bit and she went out of her way to make sure that we were happy and comfortable, and she didn't even know me, really. Most people would have just waited for us to ask, or let us take ourselves. I wasn't expecting to get paid for. It was just nice, and refreshing.

We had a good chat, just about things going on in the world and she kept offering to buy us things, or make me a pot of coffee because I said I would probably get some on my way home, and she gave us ice cream. She was just so warm and inviting. Before I left she gave me a bag of hand picked cucumbers from her garden to take home. And she tried to pass of a bag of fresh blueberries to, but I assured her I didn't need them. I almost felt bad, how much she was just giving, and how little I had to offer. It's not like I was prepared to repay her, or like I would see her again to be able to trade off being good to each other.

I guess I repaid her by respecting her house and her company. I was social and I thanked her. But in the end, that doesn't matter. It's hardly the point of this post.

The point is that I walked in to her house and she just opened her arms and welcomed me there, even for just the short few hours I was going to be there. Not many people are like that these days and I rejoiced to meet someone who is.

I think we should greet everyone we meet on those terms, and welcome them in that same way - just open, available, and giving of self. If everyone walked the earth in those shoes, we would all be in a better place. It's not that she paid for things, or that she materially gave to me as a stranger, but that she was kind as a stranger and inviting. She showed peace and love and acceptance. The way things should be.

Give of yourself today -- Love someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.