Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mariposas son Libres

Today, I was on my way to Ann Arbor to have lunch with my parents before I headed back to my apartment. I was supposed to meet them at noon, so I left promptly at 11:30. I was halfway there, and I got stuck in a huge traffic jam. A stand still. Nobody was moving except for, occasionally, the right lane. Of course, I was in the left lane. The jam extended my trip by a half an hour. All I wanted to do was get to lunch and then head back. I hate sitting on the road.

But that wasn't going to happen, obviously. I was getting so fed up with sitting there, waiting and creeping and hardly moving. Something made me look up though. A flash of color.

A butterfly had flown into my open window and perched on my dashboard.
It was so beautiful.
And to think, if I had been driving, I never would have seen it.
If I hadn't been forced to come to a complete standstill with no air conditioning, I would never have opened my window.
But all of that did happen, and I got to see this beautiful, graceful animal perch for just a minute right in front of me.

Eventually it fluttered away, back out the same window, and the moment was gone. Trapped in my memories, and special moment just for me to observe and remember.

Just one of life's little pick-me-ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, share your thoughts.